“In just over two years, Daniel Andrews has increased taxes by nearly $4 billion, an increase in taxation revenue of over 22% that will ruin family budgets and hurt the hip-pocket,” Ms Peulich said.
“Despite Daniel Andrews’ record tax increase, violent crime rates in Greater Dandenong are increasing, road congestion is getting worse, public transport is more crowded and less reliable, and the standard of education our children is receiving is declining,” Ms Peulich said.
“This budget is all about Daniel Andrews’ political interests, not the interests of Greater Dandenong residents who just want to be able to pay their bills and know their families are safe,” Ms Peulich said.
Vital projects which have been slashed or forgotten include:
- Despite Dandenong’s crime tsunami, there is no money for new police stations or re-opening police stations closed under Labor;
- No additional funding to address gang violence involving youths from multicultural backgrounds;
- Dandenong emergency services carry on underfunded;
- $45 million slashed from the state’s training budget, while hundreds of young people drop out of vocational education;
- Getting rid of stamp duty concessions for investors buying off the plan;
- New stamp duties on property transfers between spouses;
- Increases in stamp duty on new cars;
- Annual property valuations that allow the Andrews government to increase land tax rises more frequently, and consequent increases in fire services levy; and
- Electricity prices that have increased in by 7.7% and gas prices that have increased by 7.8% in the last quarter.
“This budget delivers nothing but more pressure on power prices and family budgets. While Greater Dandenong residents are struggling with higher taxes, bigger electricity and gas bills, rising water costs and higher transport fares, Daniel Andrews keeps introducing new taxes and continues to unashamedly increase existing taxes,” Ms Peulich said.
“Labor promised Victorians he would not introduce any new taxes or increase taxes but in each of his three budgets, Daniel Andrews has broken that promise - Daniel Andrews is not only the highest taxing Premier in Victoria’s history, he’s the highest taxing Premier in Australia.”
MEDIA CONTACT: INGA PEULICH (03) 9772 1366